The West Lab has a a state-of-the-art facility for research in animal biotechnology. It includes laboratories specifically designed for research in stem cell and transgenic biotechnology of domestic animals.
- Stem Cell Culture: Our laboratory is fitted with state-of-the-art equipment dedicated to supporting culture of embryonic stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Molecular Biology: Our laboratory set up for a wide variety of characterization techniques such as nucleic acid extraction, immunocytochemisty, PCR, RT-PCR and real time PCR.
Our Large Animal Research Unit, which is part of the Animal Science Building, is an animal facility capable of handling a wide variety of animal species including sheep, swine, and cattle.
The facility includes large and intermediate sized rooms configured to handle various sized livestock. In addition to animal housing, the facilities include a surgical suite, laboratories, feed mixing and storage rooms.GAIT ANALYSIS TRACK
Our highly quantitative computerized gait analysis technique tests pig motor function. Video recordings of movement are analyzed using computation kinematic software to measure symmetry between left and right limb movement, maximum step height, stride length and stride velocity. This technology us used to evaluate pre-stroke motor function and post-transplant recovery. MRI
The Bioimaging Research Center (BIRC) at UGA is a multi-imaging research suite designed to provide a full range of biological tissue imaging technologies to multiple biomedical investigators in programs across the UGA campus, their students, and other researchers.
- We have recently used this facility to show that we can successfully transplant human iNSCs and track these superparamagnetic iron oxide particle labeled cells using MRI in the pig model.
Our lab partners with the University Veterinary School Departments of Neurosurgery and Pathology. The close proximity of these facilities makes collaboration ideal.
CENTER FOR ULTRASTRUCTURAL RESEARCH
The CAUR is located on the campus of UGA. State-of-the-art equipment and a highly competent technical staff supports our students and staff. Equipment available for use includes:
- Leica SP5 Confocal/Multiphoton
- Zeiss 1450EP variable pressure SEM
- Philips/FEI Technai 20